February 6, 2008

My sister and her husband

I hosted Christmas this past year. My sister and her family flew in and to be honest I was a bit apprehensive about it. My sister and I werent the best of friends. She's the oldest and Im the youngest and there are quite a few years between us. We used to physically fight when we lived together... and it just wasnt a good situation with both of us living together at any time... Infact when I would talk about my sister to our other siblings... I would refer to her as "your" sister... like "how's your sister doing"...

I had time to reflect this past christmas. There were things that I may have said and done in the past that would have hurt... and really, both of us were just acting out on past hurts and disappointments. Things I said, I regret and Im so glad some of what I said didnt come true. She's married now and with a couple of kids and a wonderful husband.

On christmas day we all sat together... me, my sister and her family and my dad... we read the bible... we did some praise and worship songs and then my sister's husband decided to read a letter that my sister had written him the night before. It was just an emotional time for me. I couldnt stop crying as he read the letter. I was so happy about the love displayed between them... It was so beautiful. I was so happy that my sister had found someone to truly make her happy... a wonderful husband and a great father... and just a wonderful friend/brother-in-law. Watching them made me realize that above all else, it is important to find a man who truly loves God. A friend of mine had told me that before.... I think it was Ola or BK...

He's such a wonderful man really. As could be expected there was a lot of cooking going on in my house. My father has got to be the best chef there is out there... and to my surprise my brother-in-law cleaned up the kitchen one day... I actually thought it was my sister but nope... it was him... and then on christmas night... when everyone else had retired... I decided to put all the dishes together and clean up... trying to decide if I wanted to clean up tonight and do it in the morning and he came to me and said you cooked all day... you go rest and I'll do it... I was WOWed and while he was doing that, we started to talk... and he told me about his life... his life with my sister and how he got to the point of proposing to her and what not... He told me about how he'd promised God that if he gave him a good wife that he would keep her holy (Ephesians 5:26 niv) and his commitment to that has been unwavering. I noticed they read the bible everyday and I had asked both him and my sister if it's something they do together all the time... She said yes. Each year they decide how they're going to read the bible and talk about it. He told me that it didnt matter what my sister did, but he would keep the commitment he made to God concerning her. He would keep her holy. Something happened within their marriage earlier on and when they both relay the events I just shake my head at what happened... but Im also thanking God... for it is only a man of God that would have stood firm and not flipped out... He truly is a treasure from God

Christmas has since passed but the lessons I came away with will remain. I realized that I still act like a brat sometimes. I learned that I wanted a love like my sister's. I mean after several years of marriage, they still hold hands in the car.. when they're walking... you can actually see them as "one". I realized that I loved my sister regardless of anything and we dont have to talk everyday or email each other to prove that the love is there... It just is. I realized that if you wait on what God has for you.. life will be golden... no one should be restricted/hindered by age (ex: I have to get married by 25) and like I mentioned above... I realized above all else that if you find a man who Loves God with all his heart and is committed to Him and His ways... you'll be just fine!

I will be just fine! :-)


****
Hope your week is going well so far... voted yesterday... and my candidate won! :-) and a friend of mine is in from Bean town... so it's all good! and I apologize if you commented on the previous post (below) and it got deleted... the whole post got deleted :-( and then I reposted it... so sowwwwyyyy :-)

19 comments:

belle said...

wow...this post struck a nerve with me...
beautiful...

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

awwww. Beautiful. This continues to remind that the commitment you make to Love God, God will also bring someone to help you with that promise. All is well dearie. Whats happening?

LondonBuki said...

Awwwww...

Anonymous said...

yup thats true.

I believe that the commitment of a husband to his wife is his commitment to God; and that the commitment of a wife to her husband is her commitment to God. If both husband and wife, strive to keep their individual commitments to God, I believe they wont have any problems with each other, coz God is always in the business of uniting people that unite with Him.

thanks for dropping by mypenmypaper.

p.s this ur wordpress sign-in isnt working.....

Allied said...

It is so beautiful what your sister and her husband share. I agree with anonymous - the commiment is with God.

good naija girl said...

I love the phrase "keep her holy" and the devotion between your sister and her husband sounds exactly like what I want.

This was a great entry; thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi beautiful, nice post. You commented that you want a love like your sister's. God will bless you with a man that is not only God fearing but also a man that will love you just the way the Lord has ordered. That is the BEST love. Love You!!!

DiAmOnD hawk said...

hey belle... glad you havent left us completely! :-)

@Life...Amen o.. all is definitely well. what's happening with you?

@LondonBuki... awwwww... lol... are we getting mushy? :-)

@MyPenMyPaper... men i dont know anything about those technical stuff o... just do the "nickname" one... anyhooo.... i like that... God is always in the business of uniting people that unite with Him... very well put!

@Allied... it's like I was seeing a new person in my sister... in fact, I think me seeing them together made me like/appreciate her more

@GNG... I love that phrase too.. you know... we just need men to be men these days... to be about the Lord's business and encourage us as well

@ The lovely Anon-B... you're quite right... I guess when it comes down to it... I want what God has ordered and I will get it in Jesus' Name.. AMEN...thx for being you! love you too... xoxo

disgodkidd said...

nice...

Jaycee said...

This post just made my tummy all soft inside. Finding a man of God can never be under-estimated...

You learnt some very important lessons Diamond...(loved this post, I'm kinda lucky I didn't cry...I wanted to cry...lol).

Booooooo hoooo (tissue pls?)...

Nyemoni said...

aww...how sweet...too sweet for words really...hope the relationship with your sis is better?

olaoluwatomi said...

Lovely post, u just reminded me to appreciate my family and not take them for granted or leave bad relationships that way!
Lovely blog too, Ill def be back

Pink-satin said...

wow!it is really impt to wait for the right person God has in mind for you!!!

kuesooM said...

Hmm...at first I thought...did I say something wrong, I looked and looked and looked and it was gone....

Anyhoo, you are too right. Having a man who loves God with all his heart is the most important. This is a very impt lesson that is sometimes learnt too late, when we try to rationalize things.

When i hear a guy talking about his faith, and can just feel the conviction, I feel hopeful, that there are such men out there.

Uzo said...

Hmm...All too familiar story....

DiAmOnD hawk said...

@disgodkid... thanks

@Jaycee... I totally know where you are coming from. I shed some tears while I wrote it :-) and Yes Ive learned some important lessons... still learning...

@Nyemoni... It is better... I think it's important to love inspite of the pain of the past

@Olaoluwatomi... first off... LOVE the name.. and thank you for stopping by.. yep... we should try to show our appreciation while everyone is alive!

@Pink-satin... my sister's story definitely exemplifies that... so I agree...

@KuesooM... ma binu... and yes all too often we try to rationalize things.. hopefully we're all able to put things in the right order/way before it's too late

@Uzo... welcome back madam... hmmm? familiar? as in...

Omo Oba said...

Ok, so I know this is such an old post but what a beautiful story! thank you 4 wtg about this - see, a year later, it just inspired a chica like me...

DiAmOnD hawk said...

:-)
hi Omo Oba... Im glad that it inspired you... so we'll be waiting for your story yeah? :-)

naijagirl said...

I know the entry is closed, but i couldnt leave without leaving a comment.....awesome post.
I've never heard that before and it got to me "If he gave him a wife, he would keep her holy"....I wish a lot of naija men were like this. God bless your in law and his marriage and family. God bless you for posting this.