January 24, 2008

Wife-in-Training

gosh... January is almost over and I havent even begun to scratch the surface of my wifely training o. This wasnt part of my new year's resolution but somewhere along the line Ive realized that if I intend to get married, I need to get into the right frame of mind for it...

For those not aware, Ive updated my relationship blog with a four part audio series about God being the ultimate matchmaker and in it the pastor talks about people who are wanting to get married and how they're not prepared...

How can you say you want to get married when you cant even keep your house clean... cook... be organized... things like that... and to be honest... Im good at organizing stuff... but I tend to get a little messy from time to time... I have books and paper everywhere... it's ridiculous. I just need to downsize on some of the things I have...

I want to get into the habit of making my bed every freaking morning no matter how late I get up... and cooking every week... trust me... this is NOT easy!.. Just last week I made some vegetable stew... I was actually quite proud of myself... because it's not something that I would normally do. I typically dont cook anything involving pepper (tomatoes/peppers/onions all blended)... cuz I just think it's a hassle... so I end up doing lots of stir fry vegetables and what not... Now... as I plan on marrying a Nigerian.. I dont know that this is going to fly too well... Im pretty good in the kitchen... it's just staying in there on a consistent basis that I have to work on... also want to try out some authentic nigerian recipes... you know... using all those exotic ingredients... but I dont think I can do the head of a fish... or whatever a roundabout is... it just doesnt seem too kosher

Anyways Im really learning alot about myself these days... I think it's definitely getting me where I want to be... You know what... it's not all about being a wife in training... it's really all about being the best Diamond I can be... and being malleable as far as life lessons... and I think once Im in that mindset... it's all gravy from there.... one day at a time...

first things first: need to regulate my sleeping pattern... and really need to get into this making bed thing

17 comments:

Uzo said...

Wife in training? Well go on with your bad self....

Interesting approach to this....

Let me know how u do...

DiAmOnD hawk said...

will keep you updated :-)

and now that I think about it, There are a couple of references in the bible that talk about the man marrying/cleaving to his "wife"... so I guess we have to ask ourselves who/what is a wife...

Anonymous said...

yes ooo, now you are talking. I hope Mr. Naija reads your blog. He needs to know that you are not the only one waiting for the D day. WE are all waiting.

Allied said...

That is very good... i got so comfortable making Nigerian food to the point that i got board, i started experimenting with other culture. Now I can’t cook with all Nigerian spices, I have gone Fusion.

With the bed making, i started that since when i was 9. It is now a habit i can’t break.

DiAmOnD hawk said...

@Anon... so WE are all waiting abi... sooner than later babe! :-)

@Allied... well I always had to make the bed but it never stuck with me.... abeg share your recipes... Im totally open to trying new things...

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Best of luck with making Diamond Hawk a better Diamond Hawk. Your future husband, friends and family will appreciate the time and effort you put into yourself.

As for learning to cook Nigerian food, better hope that your future husband and children like it oh! You never know where your future mate will come from. But, something tells me he'll love whatever you cook. =)

Anonymous said...

Feeling you jare...need to get in the mindset because becoming a wife is like 'ready or not, here I come'...better to be ready.

Please share some of the recipes oo....i'm currently trying to learn how to make edikaiko and banga soup (still looking for all the ingredients on this side though)

Jaycee said...

Lolll...God help me. I'm in the same category with u in terms of cooking. Pls God, u know I need to improve??????? H-E-L-P Father!!!!

My excuse: of course when I'm married I will be in full gear and would have no other options than to do it. Because I do know how to cook, I really do...but I hardly ever!

Making my bed??? Right from when I was a little girl, I was already a pro at this one...can't stand a bed not made in the morning. Once u get used to it u won't be able to stop! :)

Awwww....someone is getting ready to marry a naija man!!! Just invite us sha...

Loved this post!

GoodNaijaGirl said...

I just found your blog and your relationship blog and I'm listening to the first of the four part series now. Thanks for posting it!

There is a lot of truth to what you say about being the best Diamond Hawk you can be. I too want to be the best person (and eventually wife) I can be. I have been spoiled by mummy's cooking so I haven't exactly become a pro at cooking Naija food on my own so I need to get my cooking on!

I also want to marry a Naija man and I think I'm ready, but I know I'm far from ready and that there are adjustments I need to make to my life to be ready. Thanks for the reminder and the inspiration!

In my head and around me said...

I completely understand where you are coming from. I made a pact with myself sometime ago that I would develop and acquire badly needed motherly and wifely skills. Even if it sounds antiquated, it is important.

Why should one be trusted with a home if one can't keep it well?

That bed-making one. Some mornings, I get it right. Other mornings...hmm.

Good luck. Will listen to the relationship blogs

Daddy's Girl said...

Preparation for anything you desire in life is so important - all the best. Have you checked out the writers' Carnival on my blog (odes to my body)? If not, please do... take care.

azuka said...

Goodluck, and hang in there...

This is coming a little late, but 'Happy New Year.'

Nyemoni said...

err hold up....you know, it is a good thing that you want a better diamond but what if he doesn't care that you make the bed up like a trained nurse or that you cook like a chef in a 5 star hotel? You'd be surprised the things that make men tick but I know you'll surely make a good wife regardless...just work on a better you and the rest will fall into place! wishing you the very best in everything D!

Ugo Daniels said...

yea, one step at a time makes a mile :)

Rayo said...

Good luck! I need to work on those exact same things too.

DiAmOnD hawk said...

@solomonsydelle... my man is authentically Nigerian o... not sure Id have it any other way...

@anon...check back.. will feature a few recipes soon

@jaycee...you definitely get an invite... :-)

@GoodNaijaGirl... welcome to my blog and Im glad you found the relationship series and I hope it proves valuable to you.. I totally feel where you are/coming from

@In my head and around me... that's exactly what im getting at o... if I cant keep myself/my house in order.. when I get married what will I do... Definitely check out the relationship blog... lots of good info on there!

@Daddy's girl... yes... Ive been checking out the carvinal... excellent idea you came up with

@Azuka... thanks babe... and Happy New Year to you as well... better late than never abi...

@Nyemoni..you're right... what if he doesnt care... but me I care sha... so it's basically being the best I can be... and thanks for the best wishes.

@Ugo.. so right now im like at .001 mile.. lol... yep... taking itty bitty steps...

@Rayo... thanks girl.. best wishes to you as well

Which Way Nigeria said...

You will really need the Grace of God.
It is not about doing it because you want to marry a brotherman. You have to genuinely love doing it; else you will be priming yourself for disaster.

It is never late though, you can still be the Proverbs 31 woman; but it has to come from the inside not as a matter of necessity.

Good Luck, sister!!!