October 15, 2007

Faith is an abstract noun...

We all get flashbacks...
a funny story from our childhood, a hurtful memory... a "why" incident... and I just remembered a story.

I went to a military school and the nature of my mother's job required her to travel a bit... so from time to time, I was left home with "care-takers". On this particular occasion my uncle J stayed home with me and would drop me off in the mornings and would pick me up after school if I chose not to stay for after-school lessons. If I did, then my uncle A would come get me.

Well the very first day, I decided to stay after school... so the deal was that Uncle A would come get me. The lessons I believe were over by 4 o'clock or so... not quite sure but it was late in the afternoon. Well I waited under the tree for hours after school and no one came to get me. The whole place was almost deserted. Once in a while a car would drive by looking for someone... One of my friends Christy was with me as well. She'd been forgotten. It was getting pretty late. So I decided to walk to the front of the barracks to attempt maybe take public transportation... the problem was I didnt know how to... wouldnt even know which way to go. I walked back to campus and again waited. I was getting a little tired. It just seemed there was no hope. I then decided Id walk to a different entrance of the baracks which was on the opposite end of the first entrance and also closer to the airport.

It was a very long walk. Thank goodness I still remembered the way to maneuver through the different houses and roads to get to the front. I made it out and started to walk in the direction of the local airport. My uncle A worked close to it. Im telling you it is far. If you're ever in Nigeria and you're driving to the international airport... guage the distance from the local airport to the Airforce base... FAR!!!... I would look in the distance and mentally reduce the distance to the airport. Kept telling myself that I was almost there... It was getting really late. the clouds had darkened... but I remained steadfast on my goal which to was to get to where Uncle A worked... Hoping maybe he'd be at work

Since it was late and I still wasnt home... Alarms were being raised. WHERE WAS DIAMOND. What would they tell my mother if I went missing... her baby. My Uncle J drove to school to look for me.. but I was nowhere... Uncle A was called.. and he had no idea that he had to pick me up... wonderful!

Meanwhile I was still walking... trudging on... very very tired... Id had no water or food for the past couple of hours... I was just weak... I was about 11 years old. I finally got to my destination... it was really dark by now... The military guys in front stopped me to ask me where I was going and I just started crying... They were a little soft with me seeing as I was just a young girl. Through my tears I managed to tell them my destination... They took me to the office and radioed Uncle A that someone was looking for him. I was just relieved to be somewhere... not outside... so I sat in a nice air conditioned room and the office staff waited on me... which was nice. I just waited... knowing that soon I would get home.. knowing that uncle A would come get me.

What is the point of this story?

I just realized something about Faith... and when I realized it, I remembered this story. The whole thing is I had to get home... I'd been waiting around with no results... I went one way and decided it was the wrong choice... so that plan failed... I went another one hoping that it would be a better choice... Basically I took action and forged a way to get home after much waiting...

I realized that Faith is an action word. It's a VERB...
read a devotional piece recently... by Dr. Frederick K Price... in it he states:
Everywhere you see faith expressed in the Bible you see action. In fact, faith is an action. It's acting on what you believe. Many people confuse belief or believing with faith. Believing is a starting point, but if you stop there, you'll wind up with nothing
.

I often use the example of a starving man being placed where food is and being asked if he believes that if he eats the food he will live. The man replies: "Do you think I am some kind of fool? Do you think I'm stupid or dumb? Certainly I believe that if I eat this food it will keep me from starving to death."

But he never lifts a hand to eat and dies on the spot. What the man believed was true. If he had eaten, it would have kept him from starving. But he died from starvation. Why? Because he never acted on what he believed. Believing is right, but it will never change the circumstances. Faith will change the circumstances.

I just always thought Faith was "believing".. and that is how the dictionary defines it... a noun... a belief system... but no.. I think that trusting in something is the belief... acting it out is the faith... so I believed I would get home... and it took faith in stepping out... if that makes sense...

anyways that's my new revelation
Faith is a VERB!!!

**********
I went to see Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married... I recommend it... apart from the fake snow on the roof.. it was all good... I cried and laughed... the cried some more... PATHETIC really... lol

also saw Michael Clayton... SUPERB!!!! go see it if you havent

**********

Happy Monday yall
I pray that we will all be favored this week in our going and our coming and in between and that God's Glory will be manifested in our lives. Amen.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your story kind of made me cry. Eya. Thank God that is the story and nothing worse. I thank God for you.
Yess ooohh,
we went to see "why did i get married" on saturday .It is a must see. I laughed and laughed . I did not cry sha.

Allied said...

I like the way you told the story.. Faith is not just believing , it must be acted out..A new revelation

Rinsola said...

"so I believed I would get home... and it took faith in stepping out... " Really does make sense. Faith to me is speaking the future into being the present. I also saw Why did i get married this weekend. It's a must watch though. Learnt so much from it, can't wait to have my copy. Have a great week ahead.

Kafo said...

I'd been waiting around with no results... I went one way and decided it was the wrong choice... so that plan failed... I went another one hoping that it would be a better choice... Basically I took action and forged a way to get home after much waiting...


u have absolutely no idea how much these words mean
today
i should have stopped by yesterday

thanks a billion

seriously.


i love this song

i was listening to the Tyler Perry soundtrack and this song and the one by Izibor jumped out and started screaming my name

Jaycee said...

Your story was BEAUTIFUL...and the word beautiful doesn't even qualify it well enough. It's a typical demonstration of the innocence of a child, remember when Jesus said, "if you are like these little ones you will make it into the kingdom of heaven," this is one of those stories of how children think...

You were thinking, 'oh if I can just make it to that building, I'll be fine...and because of you exercised your faith you actually did make it to safety...'

An adult would have waited in the barracks...come rain or shine, there are more dangers on the streets than waiting inside the school...

Jaycee said...

Can't wait to see "why did I get married?' I had to babysit two kids on Saturday while their mom and dad went on a romantic movie date (and very happily left their kids behind..lol), and they saw that movie...geez, haven't got any bad review at all...

darkelcee said...

There can be miracle when you believe and faith is believing so there can be miracle when you have faith.

Nice one sis!

Enjoy

Happy bithday!

Hope it ain't too alte though!

s.chic said...

Hi there, i was really inspired by your "faith" post. Funny thing is it came at a time when i needed it most and has encouraged me to actually act on something i've been dragging for a very long time... Just wanted to say thanks and God bless!