January 11, 2007

The Prayer of Humble Access

We do not presume to come to this your table, merciful Lord. Trusting in our own righteousness, but in your manifold and great mercies, We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbes under your table. But you are the same Lord whose nature is always to have mercy. Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of your dear Son Jesus Christ and to drink his blood, that we may evermore dwell in him and he in us. Amen


Im so desperate for God. Im looking to quench my spiritual thirst. You know when you start feeling thirsty, your body is already dehydrated...that's the way it is with me. I went to church on sunday and that's what the pastor talked about.....if you're yearning God desperately, you're past the point where you really need him. I stepped out on faith with the purchase of my home...and now I know that I have to step up in every area of my life. I have felt a similar desperation.it was in college...my last year. I had just come back from Nigeria..and I was determined to graduate that semester...at that point I didnt care what grade I got....as long as it was a C or better. I hated school...I felt I was in prison with the bars closing in on me...tighter and tighter and I had to break free. Imagine one of my professors telling me I should consider a double major and it would only add an extra year....she loved my art and thought I should get a degree in it....I smiled at her but inside there was something in me that wanted to break free and run....and just run. I know this year will require me to rely on my faith more than ever. This year will require that I expand on my knowledge of God. I just dont think I know him intimately enough and somehow I dont know if Im doing enough....laziness plays a role in this as well. I find myself reverting to the way I was brought up...reciting the prayers I was taught in church...listening/singing hymns..they relax me...this is where I find comfort....something I never thought I'd say. I guess there's something to be said about tradition. I miss my home church. ... Maybe I need to find someone that will kinda be my guide...will check up on me...make sure Im reading the bible like I should...following God's word like I should....

The prayer of humble access is one that is commonly said before the communion....and below is the nicene creed..I love to recite them....years and years of repeating them and they just kinda stayed with me...wanted to share it with you


We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father [and the Son]. With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. AMEN..

11 comments:

Jaycee said...

DiAmOnD...I'm first, I'm first...he he....guess what? Looks like you're in tune with the breeze outside today...(ok that line was kinda lame, lol)!!!

But anyways sha, I said that to say that's exactly the place we all need to be..."THIRSTY for the presence of God," because the bible says "they that hunger and THIRST for righteousness shall be filled," and this blatantly means that YOU will be FILLED! There's no two-way about it! Ur spirit is gonna be filled with so much of the word of God that you won't be able to contain ur joy!

Funny cos I was just telling my friend last night that in things like this, no one else can understand...it's only God that can see the depths of your heart...He understands you more than anyone else can even understand you, and since He has spoken His word, He watches over every word He spoke to perform it...

So you will indeed BE FILLED...it's only a matter of time...

Email me if u need anything cos I love helping out anyone who needs it...why not?

CHEERS!!!

Nilla said...

I think it's not a mistake that Jaycee is first oh!!...

Jaycee can be your guide...
She is an inspiration to me and I'm going to do a post on her soon {smiles}, nothing big sha....
Reading her blog daily reminds me to read the bible (which i always have some stupid excuse for not doing so daily)

Omodudu said...

I miss All Saints Church..

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

Mr. Omodudu, u miss All Saint's church ke? Were u a member of All Saint's in Yaba? Anyways, Diamond, this definitely rings a bell. The nicene creed and the prayer, all too familiar. Those were the good old days, but with time reciting those become more of a boring routine.

Uzo said...

Welcome back. Back with some food for the soul girl. Good one....

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

This reminds me of my prayer times with God. I pray the same prayer always, I have my list of people to pray for and the list continues to grow each day. It got to a point, praying became a chore. No matter how exciting I wanted it be, I was always rigid in terms of what I wanted to pray for instead of allowing the Holy Ghost to lead me. Sometimes as Im praying I just fall asleep cause its so long. But my prayer this year is for God to revive me in my prayer life and in the time I spent with Him. I dont want to feel like its a chore. Cause one of the things that pushes me to pray is the realisation that the enemy is still busy doing his thing, so why shouldnt I be about my fathers business.

Sometimes you hunger and thirst over things of God, but we need to ask the Holy Spirit to continue to renew that thirst, cause if we are not carful lazyness will crop in. And thats why the bibe says the Spirir is willing, but the body is weak. I pray that God will continue to revive us each day in Jesus Name. Amen.

temmy tayo said...

The Nicene Creed. I love to recite this. Being born into an Anglican vhurch make sit quite easy to recite the creed even in your sleep. We need more than that kind of prayers now in my own opinion.

I dont got to Anglican Church in the UK, I guess i got tired of reading out prayers, i want to pray. May God help us all in our search for HIM.

Vera Ezimora said...

Diamond love,

I love your post about thirsting for God...

But I gotta tell you something. Green is not a good color for your background. My eyes are twitching!

DiAmOnD hawk said...

yes my eyes too...okay i've changed it.... :-)

Anonymous said...

Diamond, the word says that when we seek Him, we will find Him. Try and talk to God in your own words, bare out your thoughts. Leave that list or routine alone and just speak to God as He is there with you in the same room.. Share your fears, your joys, your thoughts. The Bible says He longs for us to be close to Him. As you draw near, He will draw nearer to you. He will continually reveal Himself to you.

Pray this scripture - Ephesians 1: 17-18
17[For I always pray to] the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, that He may grant you a spirit of wisdom and revelation [of insight into mysteries and secrets] in the [deep and intimate] knowledge of Him, 18By having the eyes of your heart flooded with light, so that you can know and understand the hope to which He has called you...

Daddy's Girl said...

I love this post, because I could so sense your hunger. I must admit it's something I don't have right now (unfortunately for me) but I've been there before. Truly, sometimes the spirit is so willing but the flesh would rather just do something else. The good news is, though, that God is just as hungry to be with you as you are to be with Him. And He will fill your cup to overflowing this year. It's coming your way! God bless you dear.