November 25, 2006

30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 25

so I havent been blogging....havent been updating my 30days of thankfulness like I shouldve been doing...

How was your thanksgiving? I hope it went well. No matter how bad your situation is...there's always a reason to be thankful..let's all try to remember that

I had a nice thanksgiving. I was kinda surprised.
My cousin Maya called me to ask when I was coming over. I was surprised. Maya and I havent had the best of relationships but we seem to be getting along lately. I guess age/maturity does that...puts things in perspective. Went over to her mom's and we all chilled...their mom is cool. Ate a little cuz you know I had an agenda...I wanted to take food home. See I dont cook alot...infact it seems my cooking/baking is seasonal...sometimes im in the mood and can do it all day but most times im like what's the quickest thing to microwave. Infact one of my guy friends came over to my house once and said "Diamond, Im a guy but your fridge is worse than mine". There's nothing there but water and condiments...maybe some jello and yogurt.

What I love about thanksgiving time...are the candied yams...or the souffle...you have to do it just right so that it's not too sweet...hmmmm....my tongue is tingling just remembering. Anyways took food home...next stop was my uncle's house...for his world famous potato salad. One time my uncle went to Nigeria...people thought it was funny but I was calling everyone looking for him so that I could get the recipe. It is sooooooo good. As in everytime there's a party and he invites me my question to him is "are you making any potato salad"....

and guess what you guys....I've lost weight! Oh my...how happy was I. I had a dream that I lost weight. In my dream I weighed myself and I saw a number that surprised me. This dream was actually reality. As in I had this beautiful top i bought like MONTHS ago. I was determined to have it but it didnt fit..I was like maybe I should return it but it was just so beautiful. so on Thanksgiving day I put it on...and WHAT? it fit...so im thankful for that. I've been drinking lots of water lately and trying to eat healthier...

and then...my brother called. Surprise Surprise! My brother...ever since we were young has always done his own thing. I know I've mentioned this before. We had a party for him every year of his birthday even after he'd been told there would be no party...because he used to invite ppl anyways. Having a big brother wasnt always fun when we were younger because he would tease me all the time and make me cry but as we grew older he became more protective of me. My father comes from this old school thing where hitting children is acceptable...and me...without any intention seemed to break all the rules...but my brother would stand infront of me...and say "you cant hit her"...he even took the blame for messing up a very expensive equipment at someone's house. I felt so bad. I wanted to correct everyone's assumption but my brother kept saying "no, I'll handle it"...He became my hero...so it hurt me when he moved away. I didnt want him to go but what could I do. Living with my dad wasnt the best....they always clashed. The difference between my brother and me was this: you tell him to do something he doesnt want to do, he'll you he'll do it but he wont...me? I'll let you know from the onset that im not doing it. I guess I was more confrontational. He was quiet...has this silent strength.

He was a star athelete...if anyone follows high school football...they wouldve known my brother. He was great...we all had high hopes...college...nfl...we knew he was going all the way. He was so dedicated to it. He was a great dancer too...always winning stuff...he was just awesome....and of course the ladies loved him...

Life happens and he moved. When he moved he didnt tell anyone but me where he was...people would ask me and I'd tell them I didnt know. He eventually revealed where he was. I went years without seeing him. I would tell him to send pictures..he wouldnt...heck I even offered to send him a camera and send it back....nope. But he would start to call me...sporadically...but I appreciated it cuz I knew he was okay. He quit school when he moved and he decided he would enroll again and has stuck with that. My brother is into Jiu-Jitsu...won many competitions and was coming to california for another competition...he called to tell me so I hurried up and booked a ticket. I had to see him. after so many years. I saw him and didnt know it was him...amazing...my own flesh and blood...

It was great to see him. It was great for all 3 of us to be together again (me, my dad, and him). We squabbled like siblings do. I tend to be "mothering"...and he's not having none of that. Im traditional...i tend to follow the rules...or give the illusion of doing so anyways..and he just doesnt care...so we're not the closest and that hurts me because I want nothing more than to be close to my brother...but I take what I can get...which includes the sporadic and always surprising phone calls

So today I am thankful for my brother. I am thankful that he is alive and has focused his life. I am thankful that he's been able to turn the hurt of growing up around and become a positive person. I am thankful that he remembers his little sister and calls her once in a while. I am truly thankful to God for that and I know it can only get better....that is what Im believing God for...that soon both of us will be reunited with my mom...that we would each have a life to be thankful to God daily for and for my mom to be proud of...

You know I wrote about being thankful for my mom...and it's interesting cuz it seems that's when everyone in blogsville was writing about their moms...but i didnt publish it...felt it was inadequate...i'll try to do it next week...

yall have a good saturday

5 comments:

Calabar Gal said...

Happy Thanksgiving Day babes!! Can see u have loads of fun.

angie said...

I m happy you had lots of fun with ur family.
I want to thank God for our families, older brodas, older sistas, younger sitas and brodas and moms and dads.
I have an older brother who is awesome too, he actually takes a lot of nonesense from me(cos i am stubborn). He is like a solid rock to me, wen i feel down he always has an encouraging word for me(He is a strong born again).
Hope u have a lovely weekend

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

Hey Diamond - glad to see you had a good thankgiving - Your brother reminds me of my older bro - our age difference is only one - but he was always the peaceful qiet type with a huge temper - and bouy did he protect me - no dared mess with me - he always had my back - Im thankful to God for my older bro who went off track and is coming back - The Lord has been working on Him and I trust God that everything He has started He will complete. That the hurts that he had in his childhood will be wiped away. I have been praying for Him to be saved and and Im so thankful that I have a God that hears my prayers, and is working on it.

He has also heard your and is working on it too. Praise be to God. Amen.

SapphireAster said...

I'm glad you had a good turkey day..plus it even got better and you got to see your brother! Interesting I am working on a post about my big bro..
Hope everythig continues to go well for your brother. Happy belated Thanksgiving!

mosaic said...

Glad to know that you got to see your brother. HOpe it only gets better with time!