November 5, 2006

2 things I've noticed about Nigerian guys

There's something about Nigerian guys...there's just something about them. They're the best and the worst.

I was talking to my friend...and another time I was chatting with another friend
I asked "Why do Nigerian guys sound like babies on the phone?"

It never fails. I talk to a guy in Nigeria and he sounds like a baby. Like...his voice isnt manly somehow. One of my friends suggested "Maybe it's your connection".

I dont think so. I think they all sound like babies. It's just weird. Next time you talk to a Nigerian guy...in Nigeria...pay attention! There's this softness in their voice....

Im baffled. I mean it cant be just me hearing it. Someone tell me Im not crazy

And another thing...Nigerian guys are quite aggressive and overly persistent.
I mean I was talking to Ola today and some guy called her and left a message. Within the same minute the guy called again

I mean what is it? Do you think she didnt see the first call or that she will ignore the first message. This is a trend I've noticed. I remember one time, a guy called me and left a message. Called my cell...then called my home...then called my cell again. Im like...REALLY? is it that serious? I had to change my phone number. Called the phone company. Told them I was being stalked. I mean what would you call it? Some one keeps calling you and calling you like they have no sense at all

Another incident in school...I went away for the weekend...took a road trip to Florida...came back and I had several messages on my answering machine....FROM THE SAME GUY. This is a guy I didnt know. My then boyfriend to be had given him my # to call me as a friend in the US together blah blah blah.

1st msg: hi this is A...B gave me your number
2nd msg: hi, this is A...you can call me on....
3rd msg: hi. im just calling to check on u

I mean really. this is the trend of the messages. I guess it doesnt really matter now...seeing as me and A became quite good friends...but really I had to put him in check like WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU leaving all these messages. It sends the wrong idea... He was new to the states then....

anyways...just thots in my head....

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't blame Nigerian men too much. You must remember that Nigerian women display what we call IGG (initial gra gra).
Being religious people, Nigerian men like following the commandment God gave to David - 'Pursue, overcome and take the spoil'

Omodudu said...

Annonymous well said, case closed. God bless you.

LondonBuki said...

I haven't spoken to a Nigerian guy in Lagos... It would be interesting to investigate! LOL!!!

@Anon LOL @ IGG. Funny but true!

Uzo said...

You know what....its a bit odd. The nigerian men that i want to call me just seem content to take their time and be all tough about things while the ones that really should have gotten the message and stopped calling just dont....LOL

About the "sounding babyish" thing....Ehm....not sure really. Might really be your connection.

Daddy's Girl said...

LOL at Nig men talking like babies. LOLL!! That's hilarious. Will have to pay closer attention and see if I agree with you. I do agree with you that they are the best and worst, though. Great post.

temmy said...

Naija guys aren't that bad on the phone. I know for sure as i speak to my best friend(guy) that lives in Nigeria every other day. Infact he sounds like a bully on the phone.

I think it is the Naija guys in london when they are trying to form posh: they actually sould like babies learning french.

Biodun said...

lol @ naija guys sounding like babies, I havent gotten that yet, they sure r persistent though, I mean a naija guy can toast u for 10 yrs, lol

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

I cant generalise too much - cause I only had this one experience with the naijs guy - but he was a wayo guy - onye oshi - thief - LOLOL - It also depends on the Lady - if they perceive her to be strong and difficult - they come via that route - to get her at all cost - sometimes to her advantage and sometimes to her disadvantage.

Some women like a soft spoken aggresive guy - what totology.

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

@Temmy, my dear egbon: LOL @ babies learning french. Geez! Where did that come from? I'd start using that line now. My blinging lady, na omly u go sabi dat one? Naija guys sounding like babies on the phone? It's either ur connection or u forgot to change ur hearing aid batteries (no offense). I'll investigate and get back to u.

DiAmOnD hawk said...

Temmy...you know what...I agree with you on janded guys

Anon...IGG...hmmm. I dont do any gra gra sha. I guess im the exception....NOT!!!!

Uzo...I promise it's not the conxn

Omodudu...thank you for stopping by.

Daddy's Girl...yes...pay closer attention and come back and TELL UZO what you heard

Biodun...you're so right...but 10years...girl i smell a post from you o....

Life...what kind of oxymoron did you just use...soft spoken agrresive guy?...hmmmmm...the two dont quite mesh in my head

Bijou...you're not serious...hearing aid? it's not you fault. I have a nice "igi" with your name all over it

Anonymous said...

i have heard it. my significant other does the baby thing and he sounds very soft spoken and relaxed. if you heard him you would swear i was bullying him or seomthing. NA LIE. this boy is super aggressive, lol

diamond said...

@Anon
FINALLY
Someone who understands...

Through these eyes said...

Diamond, you dey craze! lol

Daddy's Girl said...

Hey TMinx, okay I have now conducted my experiment and my findings are: you are right, Nigerian men do sound like babies. Not all of them o, but of the 5 I studied closely in my experiment, 3 definitely had the baby thing going. So, I concur!

Daddy's Girl said...

uh... you do know I meant Diamond, right? LOLL Sorry about that.

azuka said...

I haven't heard any that sound like babies -- yet. Or do the voices you hear belong to guys 'toasting' you? I think that might be the case.

I see you took me to task over speaking like a baby. Well, I do talk very softly, but that's because I tend to get angry very easily and that's one of the ways I control it. I don't think talking loudly makes someone more of a man, but I do find that being in control of yourself does.

Can you post some sample clips for comparison?

DiAmOnD hawk said...

very funny azuka...if i had a way of recording conversations...i wouldnt do it...just cuz...

okay...you dont talk like a baby....
:-)

azuka said...

Hey, I'm not applying pressure...

Or do I type like a wrestler now? :-P

DiAmOnD hawk said...

hmmmm...what kind of wrestler...wwf? sumo wrestler?.... no...you type quite babyis...ooops...i mean beautifully :-)