October 3, 2006

Life is like a song... [UPDATED]*

I know it's a re-post yall but I updated it...changed the list. Also Madam Uzo is or should be back ...if it is possible she's more of a music addict than I am...so Im reposting this to welcome her back from her long vacation. I also uploaded the songs as previously promised...you simply have to click on each song and you'll be able to download it for the next 5days
It all kinda started yesterday when I stumbled on someone's wedding website. I heard a song and then I went on Miguel's website and someone had made a comment about that exact same song. So today at work, I still had that song playing in my head. It's Love of my Life by Brian McKnight. I decided I would give you my list of the top 10 love songs

I tried yall. I really did...but do you know how hard it is to come out with a TOP TEN when there are so many songs to choose from? While compiling this list, I asked around and got other people's opinions on their all time FAVORITE love song...just ONE. And I ask that you guys make a contribution as well...maybe give a little story behind it if you want. I made my decision based on the lyrics...and the actual presentation of the song...the tune and all that...
For me, a love song should clearly articulate everything you want to say...everything you should feel...it should embody that warm feeling...that zing that courses through you when you think of something...or someone

Top Ten Best Love Songs

1. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston - Im not sure anyone has matched up to her yet. She's wonderful. Dont really believe her separation from Bobby is permanent. Time will tell I guess

2. At Last by Etta James - I dont think this song can ever be overplayed. You hear the first bars of the song and immediately you're transported...titled my post from a line from her song.... At last, my lonely days are over....

3. Cant Stop Thinking About You by KWAM 1 - Someone people are probably snickering and laughing their heads off at this choice...a few of my friends think this song is "razz" but I love it. I love the authenticity of it. It's on par with Ebenezer's Baby mi jo wo o..je ka jo ma gbadun...

4. For You by Kenny Lattimore - This song is probably overplayed but it communcates my thoughts quite well

5. Dangerously in Love 2 by Beyonce - love it love it love it. why do people hate on beyonce? I love her although her most recent album was a little wild..im still feeling it. I kinda like No One by Cece Winans* as well.... honestly I was waging a battle as to which one I wanted to pick...

6. If I Aint Got you by Alicia Keys - This really should have been my #1. Do yall know she sang it with Usher. That's not a well known version but it is one that I absolutely love. Ive been looking for it ever since but I havent found it :-( . Alicia is definitely one of those that I think will be around for a long time. I just love her style...have yall noticed she never overexposes herself when she dresses?

7. The promise by Tracy Chapman - This is a new favorite. I bought her CD for just that song. Heard it while going thru someone's wedding website..David n Bisola's actually. I actually shared it with my sister and she thought it beautiful enough to share it with her man. Was sharing my updated list with my cousin and next thing you know...I have most of what Tracy's done. She has stayed true to herself thru the years...
8. If this world were mine by Luther Vandross & Cheryl Lynn - What would you do if this world was yours?

9. Where you are by Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson - Im guilty of buying Jessica's Sweet Kisses album for this song. I love it..it's the words people...the words do me in

10. I Finally Found Someone by Barbra Streisand/Bryan Adams - This is from the movie, The Mirror has Two Faces. I remembered the first day I heard it. I was in Atlanta for Christmas...by the end of the hour I had the song memorized. I love the dialogue between them.

OTHER SONGS TO CHECK OUT

If it wasnt for your love by Heather Headley ::: I Do by Boyz II Men ::: You're all I need to get by - by Chante Moore & Kenny Lattimore ::: Never Far Away by Lagbaja ::: I Love you by Dare Art Alade ::: You by Jesse Powell ::: Olo mi by Tosin Martins ::: After All Is Said and Done by Beyonce and Marc Nelson* ::: It's Your Love by Tim McGraw*

27 comments:

SapphireAster said...

U read my mind, madam Hawk. I have a list of wedding songs too! I was talking to my roomate about it this weekend..my list is too long! By the time the songs are done playing the guests will be long gone. LOL. My friend also has a list of songs she wants at her funeral. I dont know if thats a good or bad thing :(..
Ok I know people may be hating o but I love "SEASONS OF LOVE" from Rent. Ohh...it cannot be overplayed in SA's world o. Boo scored a serious point with that song!Infact, I'm going to listen to it now.

diamond said...

girl...i couldnt watch that movie without crying...and yes...i have the soundtrack...used to have the broadway one when it came out but my system crashed...this was years back...

seasons of love...great one!

Diamond said...

wait o. at her funeral? hmmm..never thought about that...what songs are those...do you know?

Jaycee said...

You don't even realize how much I love, "If I ain't got You," by Alicia Keys. Thats the song I took right off your list (maybe I'll sample the rest when I'm done studying tonight." Yeah,like u...anytime I hear a song, I'm guilty of mentally creating a wedding CD (thats razz sha,but I don't care...lol). Guess whats on my top list? "I DO," by BoysIIMen...I want u to listen to that and give me a feedback!!! :)...arrrrgggghhh...just thinking about that song alone is making me all jittery! Lolll

DiAmOnD hawk said...

GURLLLLLLL
I wanted to put that as my #10 because i love love love that song...do i take you to be without question the woman for me...do i promise you......but im like let me chill and see what others have to say.... great minds love the same songs i guess...lol

Olawunmi said...

you have tracy chapman in there. that's tight. i like your list

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

LOL @ u girls. Kai! You've planned ur weddings to the T. Even the songs sef, oya where's the man? It doesn't look like the man would've a chance sef. Ladies, infact women sha?

DiAmOnD hawk said...

@Olawunmi & Bijou

so.....
what is your one favorite love song

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

aaawwwww - awsome list - I am going to start listening to some of them that I have. chiofinariii.

NaijaBloke said...

Nice list put 2gether by DJ Diamond in Da house..

I used to really feel this song back then .. "Annivesary" by Tony,Toni Tone and Garden Savage's Knew I luved u before i met u is cool too...

Need to look at my list

DiAmOnD hawk said...

hmmm...I just thought of Cheryl Lynn and Luther's If this world were mine... I think I need to revise my list...remove Olo mi... see how hard this is people

oh...savage garden...that brings back memories...someone dedicated that song to me years ago...gosh..but i dont really like it that much

anyone have mary j and method's man "You're all i need to get by"

SapphireAster said...

Hey I dont know about you all but I love love love love love love Mary J's "Be Without You" I listen to it everyday and I have it as Boo's ringtone.
Mary J was on poit with that number. Her boo must be doing her good to inspire that song.
I dont have the list of my friends' songs o I'll ask and let you know.

LondonBuki said...

Love songs aren't really my thing...LOL! So I cannot really help but Boyz II Men's "I Do" is sweet :-)

Diamond, I am emailing you the train table pic tomorrow UNFAILINGLY.

Have a blessed week

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

Here's a little preview of the ever-expanding list of love songs that r gonna b played @ my wedding… lol.. ENJOY:

Always and Forever/ Here and now by Luther Vandross

Find myself in you by Brian Mcknight

Endless love by Lionel Richie & Diana Ross

Stay with you by John Legend "I will stay with you through the ups and downs; I will stay with you when no one else is around; when the dark clouds arise, I will stay by your side; I know we'll be alright"

Rapture by Anita Baker: "Caught up in the rapture of love;Nothing else can compare;When I feel the magic of u"

Sway by Michael Buble "Other dancers may be on the floor, dear but my eyes will see only you; only you've got that magic technique; when we sway i go weak"

Let's Stay Together by Al Green: "I'm so in love with u;Whatever you want to do is all right with me cos u make me feel so brand new & I want to spend my life with u"

Here I am by Beyonce and Eric Benet "I once believed that hearts were made to bleed, But now i'm not afraid to say I need you so safe with me"

For once in my life by Stevie Wonder "For once in my life I've got someone who needs me, someone I've needed so long, for once I can say this is mine you can't take it, as long as I know I've got love I can make it"

Sorry I’ve almost filled your comment space… but I just live on this kind of music, maybe I should blog about it cos there’s just toooo many that I know and love.

DiAmOnD hawk said...

@ONB..I love all your suggestions...havent heard a couple of them so i'll search them out

temmy said...

Well,well well. Some comments we have here. Love Songs? They make me cry. No love songs on my wedding day or else na cry i go take spoil the whole event. I will check out these songs ye all listed and if i dont blog for the next 1 week be rest assured i am fine just probably still crying because of the songs.

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

Great song selection.. At last is amazingggggg

Biodun said...

I love that Lagbaja song, the lyrics r great n the girl can sing too, so it will also be on my list!

Vera Ezimora said...

Thanks for the songs gal.

Diamond said...

hope you enjoy them as much as I do Vera. If you dont have the cece winans song noted...i'll have that uploaded by tomorrow and a couple more songs.

@ONB...was this your first time listening to At Last...will that be added to your list now? :-)

and the song Here I am...I do believe you're referring to Marc Nelson and Beyonce's After All Is Said and Done which was on the Best Man soundtrack...ppl commonly mistake it for Eric... that is an excellent choice. I love it

Through these eyes said...

The song i like the most you listed is "For You" by Kenny Lattimore. There is something about that song that makes me tingle all over whenever I hear it. I LOVE that song so much!!!

I have a list of my own in my post titled "Monday's Chicken Soup For the Soul." I think it is worth the read.

uzo said...

I am back madam......

NaijaBloke said...

Come to think of it Diamond ...do u listen to Phil Collins at all,cos thats my all time favourite songwriter and singer.I know almost all his songs by heart and u need to actually read his lyrics.

I can send u some if u want and as a bonus I can send u some Kenny Rogers songs as well cos I bought the CD one time like that just of one song on it from an old movie "The Great Gambler"

DiAmOnD hawk said...

for sure...you promised me maxwell since o NB...and I still havent gotten any...you want to be like my uncle mike ehn? always promising me suya but never showing up

Anthony Arojojoye said...

Come dj daimond, please enh, could you help push The Promise - Tracy Chapman to no. 1. It deseves that position.

diamond said...

wow...lots of ppl in love w/tracy...you...olawunmi...morountodun...oh...i visited your other site...heard the free(dom?) song...nice nice...how'd you do it? email me if you can at diamondhawk1 *AT* gmail *DOT* com

NaijaBloke said...

Ma binu jere Diamond... been a lil' busy and reading for an exam as well.

Will try and send u some this weekend sha.