September 21, 2006

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can;and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful worldas it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with HimForever in the next.Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr



I've read this prayer so many times but never has it had such meaning to me as it does today. I finally understand it. I think this prayer was made specifically for people that work in the corporate world such as myself. I wonder how much "cow dung" I have to eat before I say enough is enough.

Silly me, I used to say I didnt want the hassle that came with working for myself but as I've matured I realized that this is the way Im wired. I wasnt made to be submissive. Im not into this 9 to 5 type job. Im constantly straining against the chains that shackle me. Sometimes I think so much about certain incidents that I have to caution myself because I think Im about hemorrhage...seriously. I always think that Im over thinking so much so that my brain cant handle it and so I try to relax.

I was with my uncle the other day. My uncle is visiting from Nigeria on vacation. Well what do you know...while he's on vacation he receives a phone call from his job that he's being retired. Can you imagine that? So you wait for him to go on vacation and then you call him to tell him that? I complained to my mom about it. She said it's good he got a phone call. She said others just see their name on TV or in the Papers and find out they have no job. As a matter of fact, years ago, one of my aunts was out representing the company in a meeting when she was "retired". She came back...briefed the Director of the company of what was happening...she had even been handed another assignment. It was while she was out on that 2nd assignment that she was informed. Infact they wouldnt even let her return to the office.

The problem here is these people relied on their 9 to 5 for too long. I wonder what my uncle is going to do now. Financially he has no problems but all he's done is work for this company. This is the only line of business he knows. He's not so so old but at his age, starting with another company will prove a bit difficult. I can only pray that he'll be okay. My aunt started some sort of consulting business years ago and she seems to be doing fine. The point is...you need your own thing. It is not enough to rely on your regular job. And in my state where you can be fired for no reason at all... it's only God sha.

See me now...what is stoppin me from walking out of my job...The bills that come in every month that I'm obligaged to pay, that's what. Fortunate or unfortunately I dont have a Sugar Daddy. Maybe I should go get one but you know Im not trying to put up anything...just friendship and platonic companionship you know... :-). Anyone interested? Since I've been on this reality show tip...we have Big Brother...maybe we should have Sugar Daddy/ Sugar Mommy abi? Infact I think I'll call CBS. So until I figure out what Im going to do, I have to committ the Serenity Prayer to memory and meditate on it every day to keep my sanity and prevent my brain from exploding. That would be very messy

**seems ppl would really like to participate in some sort of Blogger Reality... Any ideas anyone on what to do...which one...how it would work? Im trying to work on it...actually I pushed the idea onto someone else to work on it...I trust he will come up with something**

18 comments:

Naijadude said...

The serenity prayer comes in hand for me every time. Sometimes when looking at this world, at times we get so discouraged to even do things we envision ourselves doing. 9 - 5? I am sorry its not for me, ppl say I am arrogant but cant imagine working for someone for so long and get "retired" just like that, such a pleasant way to say you are fired, cos thats what comes as a surprise for you!

NaijaBloke said...

Now this thing has gotten to a stage here now that we have to start pairing ppl.

Diamond ..oya quick add "Real World Blogsville and Road Rules"" to the list.

Oya all the Lads in da house to one side and all the Lasses(make I for yen like a jandoner).Oya pick ya partners for the Road Rules and we will take it from there.

Then each pair will have to come up with a task for the whole group as a pair to do,but we have a problem on who will be the Judges sha.

LondonBuki said...

@Diamond I LIKE that prayer!!! 9-5 is not for me either! But I think some of us have to use that as a steping stone towards out future plans and ofcourse PRAY!!! I hope your uncle will be alright. Have a beautiful weekend.

@NB The girls will beat the guys HANDS DOWN so don't even bother!!! LOL!

temmy said...

9 to 5 is not the best, but some of us are not cust out for business. Left to me, i just want to be an ''INTERNATIONAL'' business woman. Buying lace fabrics form Switzerland and Austria and da rest. Stock up my shop in Wuse 2 in Abuja and sell!!!

But hell no, i cant do that yet. I am stuck with 9 to 5.30(in my own case) in the Telecomms world. It is fun, i love my job but i am sure there is nothing more enjoyable that controlling my own £'s and $'s or Nairas sef.

I think we better start pairing people up in the blog world o. Too many singles in the stream. Will see to that.I am thinking of setting up a dating agency.

diamond said...

if you start a dating agency Temmy...then i may just reveal who The Bachelor is.. :-)...just make me one of the coordinators abeg...but for real...so many single folks in Blogsville...we should try somn...but ppl should stay away from my Blogger Boo sha..lol...at least for now

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

What you say is true. I could not imagin doing anything else than research, but is that enough. We should aspire to do something else other than the regular norm. Its got me thinking.
@temmy your business idea is super if you need a silent investor remember me.

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

I thought it was only me that couldn't stomach the 9-5 thing... I worked for 3 months in the summer and it was terrible...always looking at the clock 4 lunch break and close... the only thing that kept me going was the fact that after 3 months i'd be going back to school.

I really don't know how its gonna be when i graduate abi am i gonna be like those people who take courses for the rest of their lives? lol.. i hope not oh.. cos too much studying makes someone mad.. you start talking to yourself on the bus.. lmao...

Luv ur style of writing jare... this serenity prayer i go start to dey pray am small small.. I have issues.

diamond said...

LOL @ overwhelmed...what you say is true...

and you know when you're looking at the clock is when time seems to go extra extra s l o w

the other day i was at work...i looked at the time...swore it should be like 12noon or something...what did i see 10:30am...

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

Girl, how did u know what was on my keyholder? I bought this nice keyholder from Walmart for $1.99 that had the Serenity prayer, and whenever i've had it up to there, i just pray silently.

Y'all just crack me up. Dating Agency on Blogger? Good idea, but is it only Naija folks that'd be hooked up? Please let me be one of the co-ordinators. Infact i've already paired some bloggers in my brain sef. You ehn, Diamond, be acting all sweet and innocent. NB, deciding who the judges would be is kinda tough o. Anyways, let's start this thing fast o, Valentine's day is around the corner. Who knows, people may even get married from this hook ups. The "Our Story" page on the wedding website would be fun to read.

diamond said...

@Bijou..im going to look for that keyholder...but really im trying to stay away from Walmart...my friends make fun of me...they'll call me... "Diamond...where are you"...."Im at walmart"...as in it's down the street...and round the corner from me...hmmm...maybe i'll put that on my birthday wish list...

ah ahn...see you trying to call me out...but for real...some may think it's an act but truly...i AM sweet and innocent :-) ...so who have you paired me up with? LOL

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

How about i mail you one for ur b'day? E-mail me ur mailing address.

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

I have the "Footprints" one too, also from Walmart. As for who i paired u up with, u already know its ur blogger bloke. If u don't find the keyholder at Walmart, i'd be glad to mail u the one i have, as i can always get it again.

Soul said...

the serenity prayer, I call it a mantra..
It's something that I aim to repeat to myself day in day out, cos I get a lil frustrated with the things I see or hear on the daily.
I get frustrated with ignorance, I get frustrated with intolerance and I get irritated that people don't stand up to it or shoutit down.
So when I listen to India Arie's new album and I hear her sing the words of the serenity mantra,
it's just wow!.

Oh and re: the 9 - 5, u ain't never lied. I have a friend who just walked out of her 6 figure job. Yep. because, she just didn't feel happy anymore.
Now that to me is awesome.

Vera Ezimora said...

Diamond, my girl, kilon shele? Wetin dey happen 4 ur end? Thanks for stopping by and thanks for ur words of encouragement. The Serenity Prayer is great; don't we all need it?

Remain Blessed, my dear.

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

Girl, i'm still waiting to hear from u about the keyholder. Lemme know if u found it at Walmart or not?

diamond said...

Bijou...I havent looked...i may not even look...see you're offering to get it for me and what not :-)

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

How do u want me to get it across to u? I told u to e-mail me ur mailing address. That'd be ur b'day present from the great Bijouxoxo

diamond said...

hmmmm...i sent you an email...did you get it?