September 27, 2006

He has a girlfriend

I remember when and how we met. It was the summer of 2001. I had made friends with his cousin online and invited him over to come visit me and my friends next time he was in town. See his cousin lived in the same state but went to school a couple of hours away. So he came to visit...he came with S. I was excited to finally meet them. The plan was to go to the movies but that didnt work out so well. We had all gotten casually "dressed" up but they arrived too late. Im not even sure how me and all my friends were planning on fitting their car. There was a bit of awkwardness at first but that soon passed away. My other friends with the exception of one retreated back to the Dorm.
The goal that night...for me anyways...was to talk to the cousin since he's the one I was acquainted with online and my friend that had remained back...who was also my summer roommate would talk to S but he started forcing his Nigerian accent so our places were reversed. All four of us talked in the dark...under the big tree on the yard. He thought he was funny... and I just couldn’t wait for them to leave.

S, his cousin, my friend and I became fast friends...it just kinda evolved to that naturally I guess. They would come over and we would talk and talk until midnight...past midnight. We were staying in school for the summer..in the Dorms...they're built like suites: two bedrooms connected by a bathroom. My suite mate stayed mad with my friend and I all summer because we were always loud. We were always laughing while she was trying to sleep. She would leave notes in RED LARGE PRINT on the bathroom mirror to tell us to SHUT UP. That was funny! We would play music all night...I had an extensive library. Napster and WinMx were two of my bestfriends back then. If I didnt have a song, we would download it immediately. I must have had every version of every song…

Once, S and his cousin took my friend out to the movies and I was pissed off because I wasnt included. But I was working from afternoon till late...there was no way they could have included me but I wasn’t trying to understand that. My friend and I went over to S's house one night and we spent the night watching movies...that wasn’t the intent but we were all chilled...up in that room...just chilled. I had never really spent the night with another guy before so this was a nice experience...I felt more grown up. Sleep overs no longer involved just the girls..oh yeah...I was more grown up...I was getting adult experience.

The summer I met them was the one that I learned to drive as well. S would come pick me up and would take me around driving. I got my license that summer too. It was a blessing to have S and his cousin in my life. In exchange for friendship, they got introduced to the rest of the Nigerian community. As a matter of fact they're even more friends with them now than I am. When S came to say goodbye I cried. As in...right in front of everybody. I was surprised at my reaction. I had grown so attached to him and I didn’t want him to go. I had so much fun with them. I remember once we went downtown...all four of us...we were like a new clique. We just had mad fun.

S and I kept in touch via the phone. We would gossip about everyone. People were hitting me up trying to hook up with him. I don’t know who informed them that I was a go-between. He's a cutie...his cousin is too. I saw a pic of his cousin recently and I was like IS THIS HIM? Anyways, I tried to play matchmaker unsuccessfully. Im not even sure how we became so so close...it just sorta happened. I guess we identified with each other. We were both born of Nigerian parents, each of us had lived in Nigeria for a period of time - me more than him - but we weren’t considered Nigerian enough...so we understood each other...shared our experiences...the teasing in school...trying to fit in with a particular group. I guess that's why I sorta tolerated him that first night we met...I did have to talk to him about his forced Nigerian accent and he eased off it for the most part

12 comments:

SapphireAster said...

Where Did He Go?

Life through rose-tinted glasses said...

i'm thinking the same thing as sapphire babe where did the guy go and y did he go hope am not being too nosy lol

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

... and what's the morale of this twisted story, ehn Ms. Diamond? Abi u're falling for S now that u know he has a girlfriend? There's something to this story u're not telling us, or is it just me? I guess not, seeing the previous comments. Oya, tell the story as it is.

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

I think Im confused- Is this the kinda relationship one has with a guy - like your very close to the point of best friend but you never saw him as anything else - but because you see him with someone else you realise you secretly like him. And secretly your not happy about that??

Diamond said...

honestly you guys...im breathing thru this experience...im exhaling right now...give me a minute...i can only do it in stages

but yall are funny though...i promise you guys should just finish it for me abi?...

my dear life...lol..as in i read and re read your comment and each time i had to laugh...

Soul said...

I really like the way you write.
This is how I see what you write:
It's intimate yet, revealing.
I do have a question though: Do you find your self living in shades of grey much?.
(smile)

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

Madam.. u go try finish this gist oh.... I know say part 2 and possibly part 3 self dey involved...

we eagerly await the fulfilment of this chapter.. lol

luv ur blog girl

Anthony Arojojoye said...

Very sweet

diamond said...

shades of grey...
hmmmmmm

ChiefO said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ChiefO said...

wew are waiting. my spider sense just told me theres part 2 thru 10 hidden inside of u.

diamond said...

lol@ CheifO...
did you read the part 3 yet? I've concluded it now...LOL