August 1, 2006

Culturrreee Shock

okay i was reading my blog and all of a sudden i was flooded with memories of Nigeria and coming to America

it was 1994...arrived in sunny california via Heathrow
being a nigerian...new in school...overemphasizing my RRRs.....i had to learn a new way to live...and I was in Los Angeles...you know LA is a whole new world. so in class one day, the teacher announced we were having a quiz in class tomorrow

a quiz!!!
FINALLY something I could relate to. I went home looking forward to math class the next day...we were going to have a quiz...

that's how i got to class the next day and the teacher was like take a piece of paper out and a pencil...

um....what kind of quiz is this. Why werent we dividing into two rows...you know....left side and right side...and why didnt she draw a table on the board to keep score of how we did

WELCOME TO AMERICA DIAMOND

so i found out a quiz was actually a test...needless to say i didnt pass.

if yall have similar stories/experiences, i'd love to read from you...

5 comments:

Uzo said...

I remember those quizzes. So competitive. And we would all put heads together to "confer" on the correct answer. LOL. Wow. I remember there was this girl Chioma that always answered without "conferring" and always got the answer wrong. LOL. I too know.

Onya Baquebeich said...

all i can say is that being in england for the last 10 years, my accent has morphed from aussie, to american to southafrican...oh and i got into a fight with a vending machine the first time i tried to use one. i'm not ghetto, it wasnt my first time in england, but i was my first time having to negotiate with a vending machine.

Diamond said...

i wonder...what was in the vending machine

Just Thinking Out Loud! said...

One of my own first experiences was at the airport in the bathroom. I used the bathroom, washed my hands and was looking for paper towel or something all over the place. Then saw this guy blowing hair in his hand with one strange machine. : ) I walked to the machine after him and the crap had stopped working. So I kept on fidgeting with it wondering what I needed to do to make it work. It must have taken me about 5 mins or so before I finally figured out how to do it. Bush Boy!

Diamond said...

now that's funny...i could just imagine too how that was...

we live we learn i guess...

nice to see you around here JTOL