July 7, 2006

I Pledge to Nigeria my Country...

My eyes perk up when I read an article and there's mention of Nigeria...or Lagos...I hungrily scan the rest of the pages, wanting to read more
I wake up this morning and out of curiousity I click on the headlines about Diplomats paying tickets...and then I see "Nigeria"...so I read more...thinking they'll have something to back up the mention of my beloved country...but NO...there's nothing else. Just this:
Their main finding was that diplomats were more likely to run up unpaid parking fines if they hailed from countries with a history of unchecked corruption, such as Nigeria.
okay, so I expected to see something else right? But they go on to show that:
Between November 1997 and the end of 2002, diplomats accumulated more than 150,000 unpaid parking tickets in New York, racking up $18 million in unpaid fines..
Based on statistics supplied by the city, the report said the worst offenders during that period were Kuwait, which averaged 246.2 unpaid tickets per diplomat per year, followed by Egypt, with 139.6; Chad, with 124.3; and Sudan, with 119.1.
I just do not see the relevance of mentioning Nigeria. Why couldnt it be said that their main findings were if they hailed from countries such as Kuwait and Egypt...It's like they always have to give a dishonorable mention of Nigeria...
I've noticed that. I remember one time, this lawyer went beserck in Pennsylvania or somewhere around there. He went shooting his law professor. Forget the mention that he's an AMERICAN citizen...oh no...they had to capitalize on the fact that he was a Nigerian...a nigerian man goes beserck. How about CNNs expose' a couple of weeks ago....
Why is it they cant be positive. I mean what has Nigeria done to these people or are they victims of their own greediness by falling into one of these 419 scams and want to lash out as often as they can. Admittedly good news isnt always that interesting. We tend to focus or are more interested in bad news. We allow the negative to overshadow the positive. It's inherent. I posted a Re:Flection a while back...it asked the question "you have 20 things to do, 19 goes right and 1 goes wrong...which do you talk about?"
It is definitely up to us to consciously put a positive spin on Nigeria. Actually it's up to "me". I havent seen a country produce more talent or hardworking people...very diverse...very resilient. Positiveness could come from anywhere. Taking a look at the Music Industry in Nigeria...Im so proud of what they've done....glad that I was a part of its defining movement. Showcasing each artists' music and giving them the exposure they deserved, was my contribution into making things more positive. Now when people talk about 2face, eldee,...i smile...remembering where they started from. It's important to understand that we're each an ambassador for the country. When people ask how Nigeria is, I launch into stories about the hospitality of the people...places to go to...different traditions each ethnic groups has...things that make me proud...it typically ends with them wanting to come visit, lamenting on how my opinion is different from the media's...
My cousin invited a notable official in Atlanta to my uncle's wedding last year. He came with his wife and they had fun. Next thing you know, he's in lagos visiting. Now he's back and all he talks about is going back. He just looovveeeeeessssss his clothes...
No doubt that the country has its problems...what country doesnt. America has the same issues...but it's a bigger country so it doesnt seem major unlike Nigeria...all the issues seems to be magnified there. Regardless of its population, it is still a small country...still growing...still developing...

3 comments:

Olawunmi said...

i honestly don't know why they demonise us so much, they always need to rope us in when the story is negative, regardless if we really should be in there or not. damned press.

aihammed delot said...

let them all talk their rubbish. do they come holidaying? no! do we know what they're missing? yes! each and every sinlg eone of them missing out on a lifetimes worth of cultural diversity in one blink. God bless Nigeria, we have our problems, but would i rather be from any other nation? hell no

Uzo said...

Hear Hear Delot. I love my country and there is no where else i would rather be from.