July 26, 2006

how much did you say?

THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS

for what? a room at the Hilton in Abuja per night

Am I might just so disconnected from things in Nigeria to find this completely unacceptable?

it's like the nigerian home movies i watch. They just yell out money as if it's free flowing water

"i need $50million for the operation" some operation that they could die from any minute...Nigerian movies and their unbelievable drama...that one is another story

"it only costs $20million"...this that this million..im waiting for when they'll start yelling billions...zillions maybe...

so ridiculous! why is a night at the Hilton $300/night? is the room made of gold. I mean in America I would not consider spending that much on a room ...except it comes with a personal masseuse, free flowing tap of wine, free playboy (hehe), um...what else...

My sister's boyfriend talked about a 3-bedroom flat on the island that cost N90 million......NINETY million Naira, also a penthouse that cost N20million or something off like that. First off, I have to wonder if it is truly a penthouse because it seems because the words sound "touche", they get attached to any old thing...There's nothing remarkable about this place according to him. No gold or marble in sight and yet people pay this...who are these people paying such atrocious prices. Maybe I shouldnt complain too much...I may just decide to tap into that market...

I remember years ago when I went to Abuja for Easter & Sallah...then, there was hardly anyone there...Abuja was scarcely populated...we stayed in Nicon Nuga (is that the Hilton now?)...Back then the place was top notch but Im not sure how much it cost...$300 per night? Dont think so.. Im told that they dont even deal w/Naira...is this for real for real...or is someone taking me for a ride. I know Naira was the flowing currency when i was there...


OH I just remembered something...actually two things...actually...OK let me just share two things I remembered while in abuja...plus some

I think it was easter...they had some musical artist for the "kids"...some young guy like that...so me and my friend were out in the "hall"...and the artist was out there w/some of his friends. That's how he now sent one of his "boys" to come and get me...

"Excuse me...my friend would like to see you"
if you see the eye that I rolled for this guy...coupled with the "Get Lost" that hissed from my mouth...kai...even now im like DIAMOND YOU TOO DO...YOU TOOOO DOOOOO...all that attitude at what age...i dont think i was even 10 then...i was feeling rather divalicious with myself..of course I had to complete this whole thing with a sexzzzzyy walk....

okay the second incident...
my aunt was in the bathroom getting ready. RoomService knocked on the door...so I opened the door...as in just to see who's there right? This guy walks in...and my aunt is there...bra and panties on only....WHOA...she told him "could you please let me finish dressing before you walk in"...and the guy calmly walked out...but im sure he had a tale to tell when he went back to his staff quarters and I was left feeling bad because it was me that opened the door but i wonder if my aunt was secretly thrilled about the accidental flashing...

hmmm...does anyone know a guy name Peace and his brother Namua????

Okay so back to my story....My sister's cousin is getting married in abuja this summer and she's wondering where she'll stay. Please...one simple phone call let me call my aunt who lives there...free accomodation jare. Even in America, I dont go anywhere I dont know people....people say i dont like to spend money...aka I'm cheap...PLEASE...let me be cheap. People accused my grandfather of being cheap...being stingy...i call it being SMART...people who are rich dont get that way by THROWING money away....just ask them. I have a cousin on the eastcoast...he dresses like...in my opinion...a bum...faded shirt...nappy hair, well worn jeans...sandals that have expired...he doesnt even own a car...but ask me how much this guy makes...

anyways i think this is madness. the pricing in nigeria is ridiculous. no wonder there's such a disparity between the poor and the rich. Nigeria has become like a damned fantasy island...just be calling out prices left and right anyhow. It's not their fault, it's because tongues come free of charge...had it been that they had to pay toll each time their saliva passes thru, maybe they would wag that pink tail in a correct manner

i think prices need to be regulated in that country...it's too much please
$300/night...outrageous!!!

6 comments:

Onada said...

lol hilarious...i also noticed that ridiculous number dropping in naija movies!
100 million pounds for the operation.

NaijaBloke said...

Men thank you very much for this blog.Men thatz how ppl were looking at me like a madman when I went to naija in DEcember o.

The way ppl just decide to increase prices on goods and services is ridiculous and for no reason.They will just look at u and decide they want to overcharge u.
I almost beat up a cab driver that was trying to rip me off o,cos I was just trying to get a cab from Maryland Junction to the airport and I did not want my brother to get stuck in traffic,cos he just gave me one ridiculous price.

It's crazy,can u imagine someone selling recharge cards for cellphones will just decide to add some stipends to the actual price.I guess thatz naija for u sha.

DiAmOnD hawk said...

everyone is trying to add their own "jara"...when I go home, I cant shop by myself because no matter how hard I try to sound like a Konk Naija...they know...it's like they SMELL you coming..you dont even have to say a word

Uzo said...

LOL. I love my country. However, just like there are $50 a night hotels and $500 a night hotels in the US, the same exists in Nigeria. You can get a room in Abuja in a hotel for as little as N6,500 while the presidential suite at the hilton will set you back up to $636.

The real estate in Lagos has become so expensive because of the influx of expats and young and "new" money emerging. I mean the people in my generation and in my age group working have had salary hikes with the developments in the country, the banks are now offering mortgages and consumer finance etc.

I am aware that there are lots of microcredit schemes and efforts to reach the unbanked and "poorer" parts of our population so i am hoping that the gap (which we all know will never be removed)will be reduced.

There is the re-emergence of the middle class as well....Little steps my people. Little steps....

NaijaBloke said...

@Uzo which yeye gap will be reduced.When ppl jeep talking abt what the government is doing and thsi and that and that everything will be ok,I just ask them one question"Where r they starting from or where will they start from".Look at Nigeria's population today,what is the percentage of ppl that can actually afford 1 snack a day cos i don't even want to mention 1 meal.
The gap u r talking abt is so far from each other and it would have been easy to talk abt closing if the government is actually working towards that.99% of ppl in government r actually working towards closing the gap in their own pockets.
I was talking to my mum the other day when she called me that some armed robbers have been terrorizing them in my area for the past 2 weeks and she was saying all the armed robbers now r freaking graduates.Can u imagine having 2 masters and u cant even find a job.
All I can say is Nigeria we hail thee

Onya Baquebeich said...

pricing in nigeria is ridiculous...i bought the most expensive round of drinks i've ever bought in my life in Nigeria last christmas. 2 vodka and redbulls for £40...no joke.