June 14, 2006

Music I'm Feeling: The Promise

I found myself on David and Bisola's wedding website today. I was looking through their engagement and wedding pictures...the people and the pictures are beautiful...
For some reason I turned my volume up and I heard this song
I knew who it was immediately

Her voice is unique. I remember her for the early 80s when my elder sister used to play her every morning. It was that memory and the songs that prompted me to go searching for her CD about a year ago. I remember back then I wasnt sure if she was a man or a woman...but one thing is for sure, her music has depth

This particular song transports me to long, cool summer days...
The days that you can approach with mild abandon
giggling and spinning around until u collapse beneath the shade of a tree
and then you can close your eyes with a deep sigh and dream...
smiling your way till the sun goes down, a gentle breeze caressing you
well it is what i imagine i'd like to be doing listening to this song
It's delivery has a calming effect on me...wanting everything to go in slow motion

lol
what am i ranting about...it's just a song right? no biggie
hmmm...well the power of music

as the track plays, i find myself harmonizing along with her...
Tracy Chapman is truly a great and true artist who probably doesnt get the recognition that's due her

One of my favorite tracks by her is Baby can I hold you

If you've never heard of her, then click on the link and you'll see what im talking about...she's one person that appeals to everyone no matter what genre of music you're into...

Anyways, if you look through the wedding pictures, the first track that plays while scrolling through the pictures is The Promise...below are the words...I'll try to get a link thru my audioblog



If you wait for me then I'll come for you
Although I've traveled far
I always hold a place for you in my heart
If you think of me If you miss me once in awhile
Then I'll return to you
I'll return and fill that space in your heart

Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
If you'll be waiting
If you dream of me like I dream of you
In a place that's warm and dark
In a place where I can feel the beating of your heart
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
If you'll be waiting
I've longed for you and I have desired
To see your face your smile
To be with you wherever you are

Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
If you'll be waiting
I've longed for you and I have desired
To see your face, your smile
To be with you wherever you are

Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
Please say you'll be waiting

Together again
It would feel so good to be
In your arms
Where all my journeys end
If you can make a promise If it's one that you can keep, I vow to come for you
If you wait for me and say you'll hold
A place for me in your heart.

2 comments:

Morountodun said...

Tracy is actually one of my favourite artistes. The Promise is from her 1995 Album New Beginning one of my favourites. I've found her last two albums (Telling Stories and Where you live) a bit disappointing but I'm still a big fan. She is definitely one artiste I'd like to have dinner with. I've been to a couple of her concerts but she doesn't really open up as a human being I guess we are there to experience the music first...

Olawunmi said...

imagine my surprise when i heard the first bars of this song. i love this woman (surprise surprise, i never stop saying it)