June 20, 2006

The Lake House

I went to the movies today after work and saw the Lake House starring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. It is a great romantic movie. Im going to drag all my friends and see it over and over again and when the DVD comes out I'll be the first in line to buy it and watch it over and over again. This movie is along the lines of the Notebook and Sweet Home Alabama. I actually had the Notebook for a while. A friend of mine recommended it to me and I figured for a guy to recommend a supposedly "romantic" movie, it must have been good so I got it last year and didnt watch it until MD came to my place and watched it. She told me about it so I finally took time out to see it this year. The Notebook is the reason I keep a box of Kleenex handy.

Studies have actually shown that your hormone level is altered when you watch a romantic movie. It can boost progesterone levels more than 10 percent, bringing couples closer together. A little romance never hurt nobody. My intro to romance...was started by my cousin. She introduced me to romance novels when I was 11 or 12. Actually I seized a book from her and took it with me to england on holiday and ended up reading the book and now, romance novels have become a constant in my place of living. I like to read...I read a book a day...well not really but when I buy a book I love, I typically start and finish it the same day and then run out and buy the sequel if it exists or is available...so Im constantly in the bookstore buying and buying...one of the reasons I volunteer so much of my time at work.

One thing that people (my mom and sister most especially) make clear to me is that romance novels are unrealistic but take a step back and think...are they really? OK...they are...but all Im tryna say is....Im sure that somewhere in this world a man is sweeping a lady off her feet and someone in her relationship/marriage believes she's in heaven on earth. Yeah I know it promotes sex before marriage...but you know the underlying essence of the story is not about the sex although it helps turn the pages...it's really about the journey to finding "the One"...

God said "All things are possible if you ONLY believe"...well I believe my man can and will sweep me off my feet and carry me into the sunset...well not exactly. What I do believe is that I will have a man that my love will be renewed for, with each thought, each look, with each second that ticks by...and that same feeling with be reciprocated...and enveloped with respect, mutual understanding.....interspersed with minor arguments/difference of opinions so life is not so boring

Actually I wanted to write about The Lake House, what is all this nonsense...

Im not going to spoil it for people who havent seen it...although Im one of those people that likes to know the end of a movie. Even when I buy a romance novel, I go right to the end of the book...if I dont like the ending...it goes back on the shelf

No grotesque groping of body parts or stupid lines declaring undying love that they should have realised even before the script was written...none of that...The Lake House is pure fantasy that you wish could be reality.Im not a real movie critic and cannot use words that I need a dictionary to find the meaning for to help you understand the essence of the movie. All I know is that it's a great movie and I enjoyed it. It left me feeling all warm and fuzzy...wouldnt have minded having a certain someone's arm aroound me while I watching it. I think it's a great date movie or a great girls night out movie

so go see it....

Im yet to see X-Men...but I'll make the time. I heard it was great

2 comments:

Uzo said...

Diamond - The Notebook is a wonderful movie. Its not just fluffy romance but a love story a point. I cried till my head hurt and even though i have the DVD, i must admit that i do not have the energy to watch it a second time. I was drained after watching it the first time and i really think i can only watch this movie twice a year at the most.

I havent seen the lake house yet but there is no doubt that i have to make the time to see it. XMen 3...Fabulous.

I have been told that romance novels are unrealistic and that marriage is tough and poetry and flowers are for suckers and are just a ploy to get into the sack. Okay? I agree with you. Are they really? I know men that are capable of loving with an intensity that would scare the faint of heart but they typically end up with the wrong ones. I know what i am capable of in the emotions department as well and have had to kiss my share of frogs. But there is so much fear - the fear of being hurt, the fear that after exposing your all, the essence of your being, it will be thrown back at you, the fear of never being able to feel so much with anyone else...the list could go on and on.

But now i refuse...REFUSE to compromise on my happy ending. I refuse to believe that someone worthy of me is not out there. I refuse to believe that a love sanctioned by God for me is not out there. I just refuse to believe that. In fact now i know that not only do i deserve that earth shaking love, a love that makes people wonder what drug i am on, i will find it.

DiAmOnD hawk said...

girl you get a standing ovation for that...you've got me choking up...im feeling you...straight up!!!!

you hit the nail right on the head...we're afraid...fear of being who we are...not being accepted...being exposed is no easy thing...no easy thing at all

Uzo i need a break...cuz for real...ive got tears....you just spit out what Im feeling